Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Quest

Quest was a lot of fun and relaxing. I haven't been for ages due to some reason or another but when Kolbrunna asked I wanted to go out with her and Clare and share a cabin who could say no.

Thursday I took off from work. I had thought that maybe we would leave that day but Kol and Clare were leaving Canada at noon Thursday so I knew we wouldn't get out to the hills until Friday. I thought about working that day but then an extra day off from work is always good. I spent most of the day getting ready and doing some housekeeping so that my apato was somewhat presentable for guests. Company didn't arrive until 11pm. We sat up for awhile watching movies and visiting. Finally went to bed around 1ish.

Friday we got loaded up and headed out. The trip was pretty uneventful except for it being rather windy. Somewhere along the line we realized that no one had brought directions to site. None of us had been to Nemo before but I had a pretty good idea where it was at and we had a map. I put my navigation skillz to use and we managed to make it there without any wrong turns. We did get a bit discouraged on Nemo Rd but the SCA sign was a happy site. We found our cabin and got settled in with the help of our neighbors. Thanks Edwin, Toramasa and Ralph and anyone else who helped carry our stuff upstairs. Not long after that we headed back into town with Toramasa and Una for supper and groceries. Supper was good but the service was not. It took forever! So we didn't get back to site until after 10. The rest of the evening was spent visiting and wandering around camp.

Saturday morning we got up fairly early. The cabins were very nice but they sure could use some decent curtains. It was very bright way too early. Most of the morning was spent in a sewing circle while watching the fighting. Ianuk came by and had me pick out some beads she had made. Thanks for the beads!

Around noon Aethelflaed and I poked around the merchants and then to the store to make a call and get ice cream. Ice cream made me hungry for lunch so we all headed back to the cabin for sannys and quality porch sitting. Most of the afternoon was spent on the porch or wandering around finding shade. We could watch some of the fencing from our balcony. Late afternoon I took a little nap and then before you knew it was time for court. Court was was fun and full of laughter. After Court finally caught up with Super Dave. Kol and I had a nice chat with him over some yummy cookies he had got in Rapid. I would like to find that bakery. We tried to convince him to go to supper with us at the restaurant on site but he didn't go. We ended up eating with Foacault instead. Dinner was very good and wished we had eaten there Friday night.

During the day I had told Fiona she should come down and we could have a bardic circle at the fire ring in front of the cabin so when we got back there were a bunch of people there including Fiona. We had a bunch of singing, some excellent stories from Thora and His Majesty of Artimesia. Kol made pie and Eithni made her fabo bread. I think every bardic circle needs baked goods. HRM Lars came by a little later and Svien lead everyone in a hilarious version of Seven Drunken nights. Everyone was rolling. Much more silliness was had before I decided it was too cold to sit outside anymore.

Sunday morning we leisurely packed up and headed out. Kol and Clare wanted to stop at Wall Drug. I am never too excited to stop there but decided it would be okay. We didn't spend too much time poking around. We did get lunch and a few fun pictures in the backyard. Clare got some fudge and then back on the road. We made it back to Vermillion around 7. Called Hagan to see if he was home and wanted to go eat with us. Apparently good Mexican is not available in Canada so when I mention going to Mexico Viejo we needed to think no further. Dinner was good as per usual and then we went to see Prince Caspian. Having never read the book, I had no expectations but I thought it was good.

I didn't have to work on Monday which was good since I was quite wiped out. Went to breakfast with Kol and Clare and then they hit the road. They had serious shopping to do in Fargo so they needed to hit the road. I managed to get my laundry done before the rest of the day was claimed by napping on the couch.

No comments: