Monday, September 17, 2007

Getting sugared up in Canada

Over the Labor Day Holiday I decided I needed a little trip to escape the preparations for Coroantion. I knew if I stayed home I would just stew about things and that would not be good. Kaia, Sarah, and I drove up to Fargo to stay with Hrodir and then Nailz met up with us Friday morning. The drive up was rather uneventful and not to exciting since the landscape is flat as flat can be. It gets flatter by the mile the more north you get. We got to the little town of Gimli around 8 and then we began the quest for Canadian cash. Mission status....well some of us were successful and others not. But between the success and the failure we got enough money to cover site.

After that we drove through the woods and found site. Site was very nice camp ground with plentiful cabins and flushy toilets. Yeah! Friday night people were just relaxing and hanging out. We did that for awhile but I was tired and kind of wanted to go to bed but before that could happen they had War Court. Since I was the ranking person there at the time, the King hadn't arrived yet, they wanted me to preside over it. This was the first time I held court by myself. It went okay tho since all I had to do was give my permission for them to do the baronial business.

Saturday was a beautiful day and after breakfast of pancakes and bacon mmm bacon, we basically relaxed in the cool weather while people did stuff. That evening we had court and I didn't have to do much then either except look good. That night we had a wonderful feast. After it was over I could hardly move.

Sunday was another beautiful day. They had the milk carton shoot which was lots of fun to watch and the Ice Cream social. We would have probably stayed another day but the girls needed to be back before classes started so we left site that afternoon. Before leaving Canada we bought a bunch of snacks because in Canada they use real sugar and not corn syrup in everything.

We stopped in Winnipeg for supper but when we got out we all smelled something burning. Nailz thought it was the forest fires in Idaho but it was really my front tire! Ai ya. We decided to eat and then see if anything could be done. After supper we looked for a garage to have it checked but nothing was open considering it was a Sunday and after 7pm. We checked it a few times and it seemed to be okay so we rolled on. I later learned that it was probably a rock caught in the tire boot. But we made it back to Fargo and then the rest of the way home on Monday with little problems. Seems like there is no trip without a little adventure.

Gimli is a fun trip and I hope to go back someday and up my Canada trips to three.

No comments: