Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Rabid Yale

Friday after work we loaded up the van and headed off to Sioux Falls to pick up Del. We also stopped in Mitchell to pick up a few things at Walmart and look around at Cabelas. I bought a new camp chair since mine old Cabelas chair is about shot. The frame is still hanging in there so I think I will make new canvas parts and see how many more years I can get out of it. I have had it for 8 years and it has seen a lot of action. My new chair is very simialar except it sits higher and has a handy side table. We probably stayed longer in Mitchell than we had planned so we hiked it down the highway on to Murdo where we had a hotel room for the night. We got to Mudro about 11:30 and got settled in. I went to bed right away but Hagan and Del worked on some projects.

Saturday we got up and headed to site. The Princess Sleeve Tourney was scheduled to start at 9 so we could avoid the heat. We got there just a bit before 9 but most people were still eating breakfast so not a big deal. We got set up and got the tourney going.

There was about twenty rapier fighters there to fight for the sleeve. Each of the fighters introduced themselves to me and then I gave a little speech and the tourney got going. Sven and Hagan faced each combatant to prove their worth. Everyone fought valiantly. Hagan suggested we have a free for all in the middle and that was a lot of fun. The tourney resumed and Don Simon Morcar and Lord Martin MacKeegan battled in finals in which Lord Martin proved victorious. Huzzah!!!

After the tourney there were a few pickup bouts and we got ready to have court after lunch. Hagan and I thought it best to do it before the heat of the afternoon got to us all.

That got done and it was beginning to be monstrously hot so we all huddled in the shade and visited. I got to see many people I had not talked to in a long time. We discussed what I wanted to have bought for me at Pennsic and came up with many good ideas. Now we will see if I can afford it all. We also met with people from Noiregarde to talk about Crown Tourney. They are working very hard and it sounds like that will be a fun event.

The afternoon kept getting hotter and hotter and we all melted. I didn't feel the greatest but I think it was because I didn't eat much. I need to remember to bring more snacks along. Julio moved feast up to 5pm and most people said they didn't think they would be hungry but I was very glad we ate then. I felt much better after we had eaten. Feast wasn't fancy, just steaks, potatoes, corn and bread but it was very good none the less.

After feast I was ready to go home but Hagan wanted to jump in the creek for awhile. Cecilia had promised us a foot bath so she brought that out for me and that felt really good.

The heavy weapons fighters were now itchy to fight so they started their gladiator tourney. They made Foacault the Roman Senator to judge who lived and died. Fiona, Deva and I were sitting behind giving our comments. Katsuo was brought up to be introduced and it was told that he was a fisherman's son from a far off eastern land. I wasn't totally paying attention but I thought they said he was going to use a fish as a weapon. I told them he couldn't use a fish but then Fiona thought he should and things escalated from there and everyone thought the fish idea was great. We got a little hand towel wet and said that was the fish. Insert crazy SCA hilarity here. There are a few videos of it on my YouTube account. Some of the fighters weren't too crazy about the fish idea but Katuso ran with it. We had too much fun.

By the time that was all over Hagan was back and we loaded up and headed home. We left much later than we planned and got home in the wee hours but made it home safe and sound.

Next up for me is to make preparations for our Coronation. Hagan will be going to Pennsic in August but I can't due to work.

2 comments:

rachel said...

crazy fishyness

Unknown said...

FUN fishyness! hehehehehehehe